About Trac

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Wed Dec 17 18:03:33 UTC 2008

François Perrad wrote:
> My first comment about Trac was about logo customization. So, it was
> cosmetic.
>
> Currently docs/submissions.pod (r32557, shipped with release 0.8.2)
> always refers parrotbug at parrotcode.org as entry point for bug and patch.
> After the mail is magically transformed to a RT ticket.

I won't change this now, because we just upgraded Trac so we can allow
email submissions. So, rather than altering the instructions to send
people to the web interface, I'll wait and just change the email address
to the new one.

> Currently Parrot Trac is not connected to Parrot SVN, it's a pity.

We have an SVN server on parrot.org, just waiting for us to extract the
history from the perl.org server and move it over. But, there will be a
few hours (possibly a whole day) of down time while we do that, and we
haven't wanted to disrupt development. The link between that SVN server
and Trac is already set up. (Trac wants a local connection to the SVN
server.)

> A real connection allows :
> - in "Browse Source" tabs, a nice equivalent of ViewCVS
>     see for example: http://trac.edgewall.org/browser/trunk
> - in "Timeline" tabs, each SVN commit becomes a "Repository checkins"
> (others standard entries are "Milestones", "Ticket changes" & "Wiki
> changes"). Each entry gives a link to HTMLized diff of the commit.
>     see for example: http://trac.edgewall.org/changeset/7766
>
> With a plugin (I don't know details), each result of build&tests (from
> Smolder, in our case) could be inserted as an entry in the Timeline.

All good things to look forward to.

Allison