[patch for 34031] first part of Tcl/Tk for parrot

Vadim Konovalov vadrer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 22:55:24 UTC 2008

Thanks for your notes, my replies are below

在 Thursday 18 December 2008 18:23:36,Will Coleda 写道:
> Full disclosure: I am also on the grants committee; however, these
> notes are from a parrot/partcl perspective.
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Vadim Konovalov <vadrer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > attached is my first attempt for the Tcl/Tk binding, which in turn will
> > bring Tk interface for parrot.
> > The file Tcl.pir should go into the ./runtime/parrot/library/ directory
> >
> > I am planning to make more subsequent patches on the matter, so I will
> > appreciate if this first part will be considered for inclusion.
>
> Running it directly fails for me with:
>
>  Could not find a suitable tcl shared library!

it works for me (both linux and windows) but of course I'll investigate what
is going wrong

> Despite the fact that I have tclsh8.4 installed in /usr/bin (which
> depends on /usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so.0)
>
> A few nits that I think need resolution before this would get into core:
>
> * The top level 'Tcl' namespace has long been used by partcl; It would
> be nice if you could pick another top level namespace; perhaps
> TclLibrary ?

sure!

> * Code in "library/" shouldn't have a :main sub; if you'd like to
> create an example/ to exercise the library that would be great, which
> leads to:

you're right,
I was intended to do subsequent patches, and surely :main will be in example/
next time I'll submit my patch.

However I needed to start with coding, so I sent first approximation, similar
to p5p way...

What is the correct way to submit a patch, BTW? Is it via some bug tracker?
http://www.parrot.org/dev/get-involved says that I should contact parrot-dev
(at) lists (dot) parrot (dot) org  :) so I do :)

> * Needs tests.

yes, I agree.
I'll add tests also.

Best regards,