What's the oldest MS VC version Parrot should built with?

Vadim Konovalov vadrer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 23:11:00 UTC 2008

在 Monday 01 December 2008 05:49:14,Allison Randal 写道:
> chromatic wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm all in favor of supporting old and unusual *hardware*, and certainly
> >> I believe in supporting operating system releases for several years, but
> >> I think a *decade* is a safe outer limit.  Especially when the vendor in
> >> question EOLed it several years ago.
> >
> > I can't imagine supporting anything older than XP, unless someone with
> > time and resources really wants to support Win2k.  VC9 sounds like a good
> > target.
>
> Thumbs up. We're not "officially" supporting any operating system
> release more than 2 years old for the 1.0 release. VC9 can accommodate
> that easily, and even older.

Sorry for the late reply,
may be its too late :)

There are reasons why many systems support VC6.
IMO Perl5 hardly ever discontinues VC6, but also Tcl/Tk, clisp, etc prefer VC6
over newer Visual C's

Mostly this is due to CRT, which has different distribution conditions (both
on legal side and physizal size in bytes).

ActiveState still builds binaries with VC6 - and this is thoughtful decision.
Jan explained several times on p5p why they do so.

As long as VC6 is currently fine with building parrot - I dare to ask to not
drop it - at least let the configure check not require for VC to be newer
than VC6.

I will contribute my efforts to check its state periodically and to bring it
up-to-date.

Best regards,
Vadim.