What's the oldest MS VC version Parrot should built with?

Vadim Konovalov vadrer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 01:42:19 UTC 2008

在 Thursday 18 December 2008 21:02:10,Ron Blaschke 写道:
> Vadim Konovalov wrote:
> > Sorry for the late reply,may be its too late :) There are reasons why
> > many systems support VC6.IMO Perl5 hardly ever discontinues VC6, but
> > also Tcl/Tk, clisp, etc prefer VC6 over newer Visual C's Mostly this
> > is due to CRT, which has different distribution conditions (both on
> > legal side and physizal size in bytes).
>
> IMHO, if we want to continue to support VC6 we should evaluate the
> reasons for doing so in the context of Parrot, not just because other
> projects chose to do so.

the more compilers the better, especially if there is already a support for it
dropping it wouldn't be a win.

An example why it would be useful.

I use ActiveState-built Tcl/Tk, which uses msvcrt.dll (VC6)
I plan to use it from parrot too, so it is better for me to use same CRT, so I
will prefer to build it with VC6.

Here is Jan's explanation on why VC6 is useful: