What's the oldest MS VC version Parrot should built with?

Vadim Konovalov vadrer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 19:17:33 UTC 2008

在 Friday 19 December 2008 06:32:41,jerry gay 写道:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 23:56, Vadim Konovalov <vadrer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 在 Thursday 18 December 2008 22:43:29,Ron Blaschke 写道:

> >> I agree there's some value to variation, but supporting every compiler
> >> in every version is not desirable, and most end users don't, and
> >> shouldn't, care.  For example, I don't, and shouldn't, care which
> >> compiler Firefox, Python or Tcl on my box were compiled with, and I
> >> doubt they are all compiled with the same.  I'd be surprised, actually.
> >
> > it would be not a desired thing if resulting binary will use more than
> > one CRT. Fortunately it is easy to see what DLLs are needed by binary.
> >
> > But there is another point: one of the widely used compilers on Win32 is
> > GCC in "no-cygwin" mode, which is ordinary GCC in cygwin but it will
> > create binaries dependant on VC6 CRT, AFAIK.
> >
> > It would be a pity to lose a possibility to create binary on the same
> > CRT.
>
> please see strawberryperl.com which uses mingw (gcc with msvcrt). if
> your purpose is to create a parrot runnable on standard windows that
> links to msvcrt, you don't need msvc 6.0, as you can use strawberry
> perl to do this.
>
> ...from my latest build of parrot on strawberry perl (on vista)...
> g++ -o pbc_to_exe.exe "pbc_to_exe.o"
> C:/strawberry/dev/parrot/trunk\src\parrot_config.o
> C:/strawberry/dev/parrot/trunk/libparrot.dll    -lmsvcrt -lmoldname
> -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32
> -lole32 -loleaut32 -lnetapi32 -luuid -lws2_32 -lmpr -lwinmm -lversion
> -lodbc32 -lodbccp32 -lgmp
> Linked: pbc_to_exe.exe

you missed the point.

I do not need your example, because I just said that "GCC in cygwin ... create
binaries dependant on VC6 CRT"
So you just confirmed my words by your example.

But, when choosing between VC6 and VC7 or VC9 I select VC6 because it allows
me to use "msvcrt.dll" which is not possible on VC7 and newer.
In this regard VC7 is simply worse.

Sorry if my non-native English made you misunderstood my point.

I don't need strawberry perl either, because Activeperl fully suffices my
demands.

Best regards,
Vadim.