[perl #40817] [TODO] track generated files during the configure/make process

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Tue Dec 30 08:04:49 UTC 2008

2008/12/30 James Keenan via RT:
> On Tue May 06 17:56:23 2008, jkeen at verizon.net wrote:
>> No.  I only figured out how to keep track of files generated during
>> configuration, not during build.  We need some of what, IIRC, particle
>> termed "makefile trickery" to keep track of files generated by make.
>
> I'm going to relinquish this ticket and give it to Nobody because I
> frankly don't have any good ideas on the 'makefile trickery' required to
> identify all the files generated during the build process.

"makefile trickery" could be a simple
  echo "$(filename)         [bla]" >> MANIFEST.generated
which is platform independent. It even works on windows plain.

But most of the examples can be generated more easily during the
build step by better utils.

Examples are arch specific library names and extensions,
now in MANIFEST.generated. But this sucks.
E.g.
blib/lib/libparrot.so.0.8.2                       [main]lib
has to be fixed on every VERSION bump.

runtime/parrot/dynext/perl6_group.bundle          [library]
runtime/parrot/dynext/perl6_group.dll             [library]
runtime/parrot/dynext/perl6_group.dylib           [library]
runtime/parrot/dynext/perl6_group.so              [library]
can be collapsed on the actual platform.

Also the generated ops for each core can be added during the build step.
runtime/parrot/dynext/wmls_ops.dll                [library]
runtime/parrot/dynext/wmls_ops_cg.dll             [library]
runtime/parrot/dynext/wmls_ops_cgp.dll            [library]
runtime/parrot/dynext/wmls_ops_switch.dll         [library]

All the perl6 ops e.g. are currently missing and are therefore not
installed in trunk. (fixed in pdd30install_stage3)

I'll work on that in the pdd30install_stage3 branch since it's only needed
for make install.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/              http://murbreak.at/