About Mono Project and Parrot/Perl 6

Canol Gökel canol at canol.info
Mon Nov 10 18:02:41 UTC 2008

Hello,

I wanted to ask something related to the Mono project. I hope this is the right
place to ask.

As you know there are lots of discussions out there about Mono promoting a
Microsoft technology, whether it's unappropriate for free software world,
whether Microsoft can sue the Mono in time etc...

My question is, AFAIK Mono project began nearly the same year as the Perl
6/Parrot effort began -maybe even later- to bring GNOME application development
a little bit higher level. When I think about it, the idea of Parrot virtual
machine (and a language developed on it) was also appropriate for this purpose.
So, why Miguel de Icaza chose implementing .Net (C# compiler, CLI etc...)
instead of joining this Perl 6 or at least Parrot development? Isn't the Parrot
project began before Mono project? Maybe he doesn't heard of this project? Or
something technical is not applicable on Parrot? He fall in love with Microsoft?
Maybe Perl 6 is actually a completely different thing so I am talking nonsense :)