"if" in PIR

Klaas-Jan Stol parrotcode at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 03:22:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM, chromatic <chromatic at wgz.org> wrote:

> On Monday 10 November 2008 18:09:21 Vadim Konovalov wrote:
>
> > Why a simple syntax sugar is not invented to introduce a couple of
> > macro-like straightforward expansions
> >
> >   if COND {
> >   }
> >
> > transform to
> >
> > unless COND goto AUTOGEN_LABEL_XXX
> > AUTOGEN_LABEL_XXX:
>
> That moves PIR further away from a labeled, line-oriented assembly
> language.
> I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it's a big change.
>
> -- c

I understand that it might be more readable for some, but IMHO there's 2
reasons not to introduce this (and the 3rd is mentioned by Coke: HLLmacros):
1. PIR is an assembly language, albeit with a rich syntax
2. Long-term, PIR will not really be used *that* much; as soon as HLLs are
running fine on Parrot, there's little reason to program in PIR.

kjs