Call for Mentors - "A prototype LLVM JIT runcore for Parrot" (gsoc). How about libJIT? See http://code.google.com/p/libjit-linear-scan-register-allocator/ <\eom>

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Fri Apr 17 17:59:54 UTC 2009

On Thursday 16 April 2009 23:51:48 Kirill Kononenko wrote:

> How about using libJIT instead of LLVM JIT ? See:
> http://code.google.com/p/libjit-linear-scan-register-allocator/ for
> how much libJIT is better than LLVM.

I wouldn't say "better", but different.  libJIT has some advantages (just a
JIT, arguably better C bindings, more standalone, perhaps less JIT startup
time, closer to our existing JIT but more cross-platform) and some
disadvantages (no clang to get some JIT for free, fewer developers).

Ultimately I think the libJIT approach will be better for Parrot than the
clang approach, though there's no reason we couldn't use only the LLVM JIT
portion and achieve the same thing.

With that all said, I'd like to see experiments with both approaches.

-- c