Call for Mentors - "A prototype LLVM JIT runcore for Parrot" (gsoc). How about libJIT? See http://code.google.com/p/libjit-linear-scan-register-allocator/ <\eom>

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:14:10 UTC 2009

libJIT looks pretty interesting, I hadn't heard about it until now.
Judging from the few paragraphs I've been able to read today it looks
like it might be a little-bit focused towards .NET CLI, which isn't
going to be a win for us if we have to translate PBC to CLI before
executing the JIT. I think having alternatives is a good thing in
general, and if we had a good pluggable JIT interface in Parrot, we
could swap cores out with relative ease.That said, having any unifed
JIT core is going to be better then the home-brewed platform-dependent
method we are using right now.

Kirill: How much developer effort would it take to implement a
libJIT-based backend for Parrot, in your estimation? I doubt it's
going to be a GSOC project this year since we're already past the
application deadline.

--Andrew Whitworth