NEWS update

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Sun Apr 19 12:49:22 UTC 2009

2009/4/19  <fperrad at svn.parrot.org>:
> [release] Updates to NEWS from commit log since last release.

Since allison single-handedly, without any public discussion,
removed the below described "Bytecode Compatibility".

docs\project\support_policy.pod:
"=head2 Bytecode Compatibility
In future releases, we might make changes to the bytecode format that
would prevent bytecode generated on one supported release from running
on a later supported release. These changes will follow our usual
deprecation guidelines, with adequate advance notice."

It should be properly noted in NEWS that the above pbc version portability
is now, starting with 1.1.0, officially not supported anymore.
It was already removed with 1.0, but 1.1.0 is the first release which
breaks this promise.

ops were removed, PBC_COMPAT changed, and the previously coded and described
pbc version compatibility was removed. So the above promise is
violated. Every single
ops or pmc change leads now to pbc incompatibility without any
deprecation period.
1.1 broke it what what should have been broken with 1.4.

BTW, I still cannot believe that allison was allowed to get away with that.
Normally such a project leader, lacking technical and project leading
capabilities
would get fired immediately or it would lead to a prominent split.
However, a "pparrot" (Portable Parrot) split is out of my intentions.
I just left.
The damage is already done and irrevocable.

Not talking about the make install mess, that 1.0 and 1.1 will still
not lead to any language release, since it is technically impossible
without any serious patches. For parrot and for the languages. I
posted links to patches to fix that, but saw no reaction.
http://code.google.com/p/cygwin-rurban/source/browse/#svn/trunk/release/parrot
  => parrot and pipp 1.0.0 and rakudo-200903
Such problems should be marked blocking in a normally lead project.
Anyway, I see no proper fitting NEWS line for this problem ("  +
parrot languages still not installable"), so no patch for that.
--
Reini Urban