Parrot 1.1, base types and inheritance

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Mon Apr 20 02:42:21 UTC 2009

bsdz wrote:
> Here is a list of tickets that instinctively feel similar.
>
> https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/218 - can't sort a PIR subclass
> of an RPA.
> https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/562 - subclassing basic number
> types fails to inherit basic ops like add, sub, mul and div
> http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=59630 - Complex
> subtraction fails for subclasses of Complex
> https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/556 - setref on derived pmc
> aggregate class loses data on return
> https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/203 - assign_pmc broken for pir
> subclasses

Good eye, they are all related. It's known that subclassing a low-level
PMC from a PIR class only works when the low-level PMC respects a
certain limited interface. It's a fundamental limitation of the old PMC
implementation, and we're gradually working our way through removing it.
Cotto's recent work removing the UnionVals was an important step (before
that it was completely impossible to subclass those low-level PMCs from
PIR).

> Can we add some priority to getting inheritance fixed to the next
> milestone, perhaps 1.2?

Are you volunteering to work on it? If so, welcome, and we'll be happy
to give you guidance in where to look for more information. If you're
asking somebody else to work on it, there are a few other more urgent
priorities, but we will get to it.

Allison