1.5.0 Release right around the corner

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 22:21:56 UTC 2009

I'm losing track of time! We have the 1.5.0 release coming out on
Tuesday, and I think it's going to be a doozy! A lot of work has
happened since 1.4.0, much of it removing deprecated features. Since
so many things have changed, I want to make sure we spend an extra
large amount of testing this week to make sure that 1.5.0 is stable
and good.

We're going to have a feature-freeze starting on Saturday (whenever
you wake up on Saturday, it's Saturday, doesn't matter about time
zones). After that point, no big commits, merging big branches, etc.
There are one or two branches that I think might be mature enough to
make it into trunk by that cutoff, but don't rush things!

Since so many deprecated features have been removed, I want to put
extra focus on HLL testing this week. Obviously Rakudo gets plenty of
test coverage from it's development team (but feel free to run more
tests on your system too!), but we also want to make sure all the
smaller languages get good testing too. So pick a language, run some
tests, and let us all know what the current status is.

This is also a good opportunity to do some blogging and guerilla
advertising: Talk about what you've done this month in Parrot, what
the current status is of your favorite
compiler/library/subsystem/toolchain/whatever, what you would like to
see happen before 1.6.0, how you think things are shaping up for
2.0.0, etc. Let's build a little publicity suspense before the big
release climax, and let everybody know about all the cool work we've
been doing.