Trac'ing tests status

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Thu Aug 27 06:55:51 UTC 2009

Will Coleda wrote:
> We should be following rakudo's example of not closing tickets for
> which tests could be written.
>
> We could abuse the existing trac fields we have to help track this
> status, or we could add a new "Tests" field, with "needs, has, can't,
> <null>"
>
> Moritz has suggested we should additionally track the name of the test file.

I'd rather see a new ticket created for adding the tests, with a
reference to the closed ticket. It does take a little more thought to
phrase the second ticket in what exactly can be tested, but that little
bit of effort turns it into a task we could hand to a new contributor
instead of requiring a full understanding of the original ticket.

So, add a Type 'test' in addition to 'bug', 'todo', 'cage'. The name of
the test file makes the most sense in the description, where you can
list multiple files, explain whether the tests need to be added to an
existing file or create a new file, and explain where similar or related
tests can be found as examples.

> Throwing to the list for discussion; I'll get OSU to update our trac
> instance if it turns out we decide we need new field(s) for this.

We don't need OSU for that, I added all the current custom fields, and
can show anyone how to do it.

Allison