Gerd or Allison (TT 873)

Jerome Quelin jquelin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 06:45:46 UTC 2009

On 09/12/08 10:57 +1100, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
> 	Hi.  I asked on #parrot, and they all said this patch looks good
> and/or valuable, but they also said that we need someone who knows
> something about RPM to review it.
>
> http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/873
>
> 	I've put Gerd and Allison's names into the subject line, because
> they're the names I recall from last time I was trying to get a
> Parrot RPM working.

i don't really understand the ticket. however, as parrot maintainer
parrot for mandriva, i can assure you that parrot is available in this
distribution, and updated on a monthly basis (unless we are in version
freeze).

latest parrot version can be fetched from:
    $mirror/devel/cooker/x86_64/media/contrib/release/*parrot*

eg: http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/cooker/x86_64/media/contrib/release

packages are: parrot, libparrot, libparrot-devel, parrot-doc

parrot can also be installed with:
$ sudo urpmi parrot

now, i have 2 questions:

1- which parrot version should be shipped by a stable dist?

since parrot was still in flux, and not yet used as a vm by a language
implementation (cf below), i'm always updating parrot to latest version.
however, it might make sense to ship only a stable parrot (2.0 and 2.6)
in a stable distro. but since stable parrot happen in january and july,
and since stable dists tend to happen in april/may and october/november,
it means that latest stable would be 4 ou 5 months old... not the best
way to go given rate of changes in parrot land.
now i've read that there might be 4 stable parrot releases a year, that
would be very welcome.

2- when will rakudo be able to use an installed parrot?

since i don't want to bother updating parrot twice, i currently don't
ship rakudo on mandriva. i know rakudo people will say that they want it
that way to have the latest & greatest parrot bits, but then why don't
they "just" require latest parrot version as dependency? i hope rakudo*
will have the possibility to use an installed parrot.

regards,
jérôme
jquelin at gmail.com