Gerd or Allison (TT 873)

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Tue Dec 8 12:09:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Jerome Quelin wrote:

> On 09/12/08 10:57 +1100, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
>> 	Hi.  I asked on #parrot, and they all said this patch looks good
>> and/or valuable, but they also said that we need someone who knows
>> something about RPM to review it.
>>
>> http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/873
>>
>> 	I've put Gerd and Allison's names into the subject line, because
>> they're the names I recall from last time I was trying to get a
>> Parrot RPM working.
>
> i don't really understand the ticket. however, as parrot maintainer
> parrot for mandriva, i can assure you that parrot is available in this
> distribution, and updated on a monthly basis (unless we are in version
> freeze).

 	Basically, it includes the relevant parts of the "ports" directory in
the distro.  For example, ports/fedora/ contains an RPM spec file, and a patch
that someone has put there that works with the spec file.

 	Unfortunately, the .spec file there is out of date.  What I want is to
be able to get the .tgz file, extract the appropriate ports directory, and
then do "rpmbuild -ba parrot.spec", and have it work.  My solution this time
was to dig around on the web until I found Parrot a 1.8 RPM, then download the
source RPM and build it for my system.

 	Of course, if I weren't trying to keep up with the bleeding edge,
these problems wouldn't happen, but as a Rakudo user, I have to try to keep up
at least somewhat.

> 1- which parrot version should be shipped by a stable dist?
> 2- when will rakudo be able to use an installed parrot?

 	To me, these two questions sum up the problem very well.  You see,
Rakudo HEAD often requires a version of Parrot that is *even more* recent than
the release version.  But I think last time I checked, it worked with an
installed Parrot if you just gave it the right options.

> since i don't want to bother updating parrot twice, i currently don't
> ship rakudo on mandriva. i know rakudo people will say that they want it
> that way to have the latest & greatest parrot bits, but then why don't
> they "just" require latest parrot version as dependency? i hope rakudo*
> will have the possibility to use an installed parrot.

 	I think Rakudo has gone on a release schedule that puts them maybe 2
days after the Parrot one.  pmichaud?

 	HTH,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |