Gerd or Allison (TT 873)

Moritz Lenz moritz at casella.faui2k3.org
Tue Dec 8 12:36:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 11:09:21PM +1100, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Jerome Quelin wrote:
>
>> On 09/12/08 10:57 +1100, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
>> 1- which parrot version should be shipped by a stable dist?
>> 2- when will rakudo be able to use an installed parrot?
>
> 	To me, these two questions sum up the problem very well.  You see,
> Rakudo HEAD often requires a version of Parrot that is *even more* recent
> than the release version.  But I think last time I checked, it worked
> with an installed Parrot if you just gave it the right options.
>
>> since i don't want to bother updating parrot twice, i currently don't
>> ship rakudo on mandriva. i know rakudo people will say that they want it
>> that way to have the latest & greatest parrot bits, but then why don't
>> they "just" require latest parrot version as dependency? i hope rakudo*
>> will have the possibility to use an installed parrot.
>
> 	I think Rakudo has gone on a release schedule that puts them maybe 2
> days after the Parrot one.  pmichaud?

I'm not pmichaud, but I'll answer nonetheless :-)

Yes. Rakudo is released two days after a parrot release, and the Rakudo
release works with the installed parrot release (but needs the parrot-devel
installation, which previously required `make install-dev` in parrot, and is
now part of the default `make install`).

This is designed so that distributers can easily ship rakudo if they also ship
parrot.

Is there anything else the distributers need from us? (Where by "us" I mean
the Rakudo developers).

I'm currently aware of one limitation: you can't install parrot to one
directory, and rakudo to another dir - Rakudo currently relies on --prefix
option which you passed to parrot's Configure.pl. (But I hope that's not a
problem for most distributions, which will install both with prefix /usr/).

If you want something newer than a release, you are encouraged to install
parrot and rakudo locally -- but I don't expect anyone to ship a non-release
version of Rakudo.

Cheers,
Moritz