Gerd or Allison (TT 873)

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Tue Dec 8 17:30:31 UTC 2009

Jerome Quelin wrote:
> On 09/12/08 16:34 +0100, Moritz Lenz wrote:
>>
>> So according to my understanding, Rakudo requires a full parrot to be installed
>> ('make install', not just 'make install-bin' or so), but not the parrot source
>> tree.
>>
>> Did I miss something? Or does that not work anymore?
>
> it works, but needs the files that get installed in /usr/src/parrot
> what are those files? are they really needed? will the keep being
> needed?

Parrot installs some files in /usr/src if you run 'make install-dev'.
Those are intermediate forms of PMCs that are needed if a language
subclasses Parrot core PMCs (the ".dump" files). Those will no longer be
needed after we clean up PMC generation so it doesn't rely on
intermediate forms. (Certainly they'll be gone when we move to Lorito.)

Allison