r42961: bufstart != strstart

Andrew Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Thu Dec 10 13:38:31 UTC 2009

I'm a little suspicious of the change in r42961, which essentially does

-    const char * const file_name = file->strstart;
+    const char * const file_name = Buffer_bufstart(file);

In general, I don't think bufstart is necessarily the same as strstart.
At least some years ago it wasn't supposed to always be the same.  For
example, if a user did a substr(), strstart might actually point somewhere
within the buffer, not just at the start.  At least that was my
understanding from some time ago.  I didn't create a ticket in case my
memory was faulty or the rules have changed, but did want to ask another
pair of eyes to check it out.

Thanks,

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu