version numbers

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 1 15:53:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 04:29:58PM +0100, Jerome Quelin wrote:
> > No. On the Parrot Developer Summit the decision was made to use a
> > major.minor versioning system, as explained in
> > http://www.parrot.org/news/vision-for-1_0
>
> then it won't work for 2.5
> january  2.0
> february 2.1
> march    2.2
> april    2.3
> may      2.4
> june     2.5
> july <-- error, 2.5 already released!

It's only an error if _every_ monthly release has a major new
feature or incompatible change.  Otherwise we're still using
the three part numbering system for monthly releases, so it's
more likely to be:

    january  2.0
    february 2.0.1
    march    2.0.2
    april    2.1.0  # major feature or deprecation
    may      2.1.1
    june     2.2.0  # major feature or deprecation
    july     2.5

Pm