[perl #36330] [TODO] Create a BigNum PMC

Andrew Whitworth via RT parrotbug-followup at parrotcode.org
Thu Feb 5 16:26:20 UTC 2009

On Mon Dec 01 08:16:19 2008, pmichaud wrote:
> If (1) bignum.c is not being used, and (2) we don't expect it to
> be used between now and Parrot 1.0, then I recommend we eliminate
> it for the time being.
>
> If someone in the future wants to recover this code as part of
> (re)implementing BigInt/BigNum/BigWhatever, they can easily do
> so from the svn repository.  Until then, let's not carry around
> the code baggage and/or lead coders down false trails.

To my knowledge, src/bignum.c is not being used from anywhere. Also, it
seems like our BigInt implementation is based on the GMP library and
maybe other arbitrary-precision arithmetic libraries. Questions:

1) Are we going to be relying on libraries to handle our BigInt/BigNum
implementations, or are we intending to roll our own?
2) In the case that we are looking to write our own BigNum library, do
we want to use the code that's currently in src/bignum.c?

--
Andrew Whitworth
a.k.a Whiteknight