[perl #39714] [TODO] Refactor IMCC to remove static globals

kjstol parrotcode at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 23:09:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Will Coleda via RT <
parrotbug-followup at parrotcode.org> wrote:

> On Tue Jul 04 19:30:44 2006, autrijus at gmail.com wrote:
> > IMCC currently relies on a lot of static globals to carry state, and
> > cannot reliably restore them when an error occurs. (grep for
> > "static" and "FIXME global" in the IMCC tree.)
> >
> > Allison had ruled that reentrancy should be possible for IMCC, and
> > this would be a good refactoring project.
>
> We've rejected a lot of "clean up IMCC" tickets with the thought that we
> eventually want PIRC to take over. Anyone think this falls into the same
> category?

I would like to indicate that while most of PIRC's done, it's not finished
yet. Major issue now is the bug with STRING and FLOATVAL constants bug
(there's 1 or 2 tickets on that). I haven't really had the energy or time to
work on that recently. The rest is just a matter of test+fix cycle; I'm sure
there's all sorts of cases that should be tested more properly than I've
done. So, although I'm confident that together we can fix PIRC, don't throw
out imcc just yet..

kjs