Brave new (1.0) world.

Geoffrey Broadwell geoff at broadwell.org
Thu Feb 19 21:20:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 15:57 -0500, Will Coleda wrote:
> Ok, but we don't have that now. So we have to come up with an attempt
> here. Here's mine: make the milestone releases every six months be
> 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and have the monthly releases be 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 , etc.

Right.  I think there is growing consensus that n.5 as a milestone
number must die, because it:

  * Spreads a single concept (milestones) across both slots
  * Mixes two concepts (milestones and monthlies) in the second slot
  * Forces us to contort around the 6 > 5 problem

I'm fine with "Milestone.Monthly" notation, so our major release number
goes up twice a year, and the minor number loops over [0 .. 5] with each
month.  It's not as much structural info as I was hoping to pack in
there, but is at least sane enough to not drive me crazy.

-'f