Brave new (1.0) world.

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Fri Feb 20 17:34:43 UTC 2009

Geoffrey Broadwell wrote:

> No one was confused, until the PDS ... when y'all decided to break with
> *Parrot* tradition, which happened to align with all of that other
> baggage.

Yes, there's one tradition we very intentionally broke, and that was the
tradition of "maybe we'll release 1.0, someday", and of seeing 1.0 as
some nirvana of perfection that we could only dream of achieving.

1.0 is the release after 0.9.x, and includes some major feature
additions, subsystem cleanups, etc. That fits with the Parrot tradition.

It also marks a point where we can say to packagers/distributions "We'll
support this version with bug/security fixes for X amount of time",
where X is longer than a month, which is important for getting included
in major distributions. It also marks a point that language developers
can target and not have the virtual machine constantly shifting beneath
them. That is a change from Parrot tradition, but it's more of a small
(but important) addition to tradition. We'll continue our monthly
release tradition as we have done for years now.

The fact that version numbers have suddenly turned into an enormous
thread makes me think that people are getting a case of 1.0 nerves. Calm
down. It will be okay. 1.0 is not the apocalypse, and development will
continue after it pretty much the same as before it.

Allison