The Core Problem with Parrot Version Numbers

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 20 18:05:15 UTC 2009

At 09:14 -0800 2009-02-20, Allison Randal wrote:
>People will look at it and instantly understand "Ah, 2.0 is more recent than 1.0, I might consider upgrading." Which is all that really matters.

As one who builds systems out of software like Parrot
what really matters to me is

   "How badly will things that depend on Parrot break if I drop 2.0 in for 1.0?"

Experience suggests three different answers are common:
    a) nothing should break
    b) nothing should break, but 2.0 goes beyond 1.0 so you cannot down grade
    c) things will break, things that depend on Parrot require rework

Is there an easy programatic way to extract this information when
comparing two Parrot releases?

Regards,
Todd Olson