Brave new (1.0) world.

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Sat Feb 21 00:16:27 UTC 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 16:05:59 Stephen Gunnell wrote:

> A release is established as a set of features.

In Parrot Land, a release is "It's the third Tuesday of the month.  All tests
pass.  No fuss.  No muss.  It's a new release."

The features of that release are those stable features which pass their tests.

We do not play games with version numbers which always flirt with but never
reach 1.0, nor Greek letters, nor RCs, nor code freezes, nor slushes.  After
eight years, we've cut enough blue sky and green fields features and have
sufficient confidence in what remains that we can say "Early adopters should
start playing with PCT and Parrot".  It's not perfect, and we'll make changes
-- but what project is perfect at 1.0?  What project doesn't make changes?

If you know of a way to make volunteers work on only those features some
central authority deems most important to a predictable and well-defined
schedule, I (and I suspect, people from many other projects) would love to
hear it.

If you have found bugs, or poorly documented features, or unusable features,
please file tickets in Trac, or send a message to the list, or join the IRC
channel, and someone will help you file tickets.

-- c