[RFC] infrastructure for load_bytecode calling PIRC

kjstol parrotcode at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 18:48:27 UTC 2009

PIRC bytecode generation is coming along nicely lately. I've got most of it
working.Things that need work are generation of bytecode for keys, handling
:outer(), handling :multi().

In order to fully test PIRC I need some extra infrastructure.
Currently, when a load_bytecode instruction is executed, it invokes IMCC.
I'd like to have a similar experimental op, for instance load_bytecode_pirc,
which has the same signature, but invokes PIRC to do the compilation.

Writing the op is trivial, but I need some extra functionality in Parrot;
the load_bytecode op calls Parrot_load_bytecode, which does a lot of work. I
basically want to copy/paste that function, renaming it slightly, and invoke
a PIRC compile function, instead of a IMCC compile function.

Being able to do this would allow me to prove that PIRC is reentrant.

What's the best way to organize this? I don't want to clutter the parrot
code/repository too much, given that it's unlikely that PIRC can be finished
(and included in) before the 1.0 release.

Thanks,
kjs