coordinating on pdd30 branch

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Mon Jan 5 13:09:10 UTC 2009

Allison Randal schrieb:
> I've applied what I've approved from the branch to trunk, split out into
> logical additions:
>
> - The new macro syntax for conditional lines and related tests (r34762)
> - File conversions for new macro syntax (r34794, r34836).
> - The parrot debugger test modifications (r34786).
> - The pod2man configure step and tests (r34789)
> - Cygwin-specific build enhancements (r34940).
>
> Whatever remains in the branch can be considered rejected, requiring
> further work, or outside the scope of the branch. Feel free to ask
> questions about particular pieces remaining in the branch. Here's a few
>  details:
>
> - I left off the new files in t/tools, because they're just bare
> "proof-of-concept" files. Submit these as separate patches when you have
> test coverage on a substantial set of the target functionality.

Will do. That's trivial.

> - The changes to individual language makefiles I'll leave to the
> discretion of the language developers.

good night.

> - I left out src/library.c because "this still crashes" means it doesn't
> get merged into trunk. More info about how and why it crashes would be
> helpful. When you develop the separate patch for this, eliminate the
> ENABLE_PARROT_LIBRARY_INSTALLED ifdef's, and just develop the patch
> straight. Several files depend on the src/library.c changes, so also
> remain unmerged (tools/dev/install_files.pl,
> config/gen/config_pm/config_lib.in, runtime/parrot/library/config.pir,
> runtime/parrot/library/parrotlib.pir).

Please check out the recent fixes for src/library.c because I fixed "the
crashes". Every change has a corresponding ticket and testcase.

And all these config and library patches you left out are critical.
How should people work outside the builddir? How should packages be
made? Should it be the same as vanilla and strawberry perl forcing
packages to be installed into a fixed location?

> - Moving a bunch of files from languages/WMLScript/runtime to
> languages/WMLScript/WMLScript seems odd. The 'runtime' directory was a
> more meaningful name. But mainly, the move isn't related to the install
> process, so should be taken to the language maintainer (François Perrad)
> rather than included in a branch with install-related changes.

But this apporach works. Currently it doesn't work.
I wrote up pdds/draft/pdd30_install.pod and gave several variants to be
decided upon, but apparently nobody read it.

> - Please submit the MANIFEST.generated changes as a separate patch. (One
> important skill about submitting patch files to Trac, they should always
> apply cleanly to trunk and not depend on other patch files submitted in
> other tickets. It can be a tricky skill to master, but once you've got
> it, your patches will be accepted far more frequently and rapidly.)

Chicken - Hen: With such big changes I can either split it up
individually to have corresponding tickets and for easier review,
or - the conflict - pack into one big patch which applies cleanly and in
parallel to trunk. Nobody wanted the big patch approach, so I read the
above paragraph as lame and meaningless.
Since the important patches were not applied in July, I had to split up.

It's not tricky for me to have many small patches because I have to
tools to work with them, quilt. But since I'm the only one using it, its
tricky for you getting the dependencies right.

> - Also submit changes to ports/cygwin as a separate patch to trunk.

Already done.

> That wraps up pdd30install_stage3. I'm ready to delete the branch when
> you confirm that you've extracted any outstanding patch files from it.

I vote against it. There are a couple of important patches still in,
Leaving the language to the language developers, will not gain anything.
This is at least a start for the poor languages, so that they can live
alone.
--
Reini