Need a string_unescape function returning c-string

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Tue Jan 13 23:03:13 UTC 2009

kjstol wrote:
> However, I (well, PIRC does) need a string unescape function (taking a
> c-string) that returns a c-string.
>
> Can we add a function to string.c that does in fact just that

"C strings" ought to be anathema in Parrot. When someone talks about a
"C string" you should look at them as if they have just said a dirty word.

Going from a STRING to "C string" means throwing away encoding and
charset information, which means you are left with a string of bytes
that mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I think if we do implement such a function
it should return the string transcoded into Double-Byte Character Set
EBCDIC, just to make the point.

No C strings, please.

Simon