migration of subversion to parrot.org

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 21:14:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:59, chromatic <chromatic at wgz.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 January 2009 12:55:19 Allison Randal wrote:
>
>> - The migration from one svn repository to another only takes a few
>> hours, and with a quick command of "svn switch --relocate" developers
>> can continue with their current working copies without a hitch.
>
> In theory, switching from RT to Trac was only that disruptive.  In practice,
> we're *still* resetting developer accounts so that they can actually login.
> At minimum, we should ensure that accounts for everyone who's made a commit in
> the past year work on the new system before contemplating a switch.  (By
> "work" I mean "We're not afraid to touch account preferences lest we lose our
> accounts and permissions again.")

true, and a simple procedure could give us a greater level of
confidence. we have the ability to create a new svn repo on parrot.org
anytime. let's create a test repo with one file, perhaps named
COMMITTERS, give rights to those who should have them, and ask them to
perform a checkout, put their username in the file, and commit it.
once everything's working as expected, we can use that info for the
parrot repo migration.

thoughts?
~jerry