migration of subversion to parrot.org

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 14 21:15:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:55:19PM -0800, Allison Randal wrote:

> - The migration from one svn repository to another only takes a few
> hours, and with a quick command of "svn switch --relocate" developers
> can continue with their current working copies without a hitch.

I think this massively understates reality, by presuming that
only Parrot developers (people on the parrot-dev mailing list) are
the ones affected by this switch.

Basically, anyone who wants to play with Rakudo Perl needs to
know about the switch, and that means that at least the core
developers (Rakudo, November, mod_parrot, Druid, Pugs, etc.)
should be given a heads up to the upcoming change, so that we
can begin to update the relevant documentation and plan for the
appropriate announcements.  Failing to have this gives a negative
impression to the people we're currently trying very hard to
attract.

Granted, much of this becomes moot after 1.0, when we largely expect
languages to be in separate repositories from Parrot and work on a
different release cycle, but until that point there are still people
who depend on Parrot but who aren't necessarily "Parrot developers",
and we need to keep their needs in mind.

Pm