[perl #41825] [BUG] morph vtable override not working in PIR

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jnthn.net
Sat Jan 17 16:11:23 UTC 2009

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Just for the record, AFAICT none of PGE/PCT/Rakudo make use of
> morph any longer.
This is true AFAIK too.

> We now have the 'copy' opcode to do what the "morph workaround" was doing (and I don't think copy is using VTABLE_morph).

IIRC, copy once used to, but stopped doing so when I realized that we
morphed...and then copied right over whatever morph might have produced. :-)

FWIW, I've yet to find a use case for morph in anything I've done in
Rakudo. Between the copy op and our rebless_subclass dynop, we've got
what we've needed to date.

I'm curious - is anyone else doing a HLL on Parrot that uses morph? If
nobody is, is it worth spending time on, or even worth keeping?

Thanks,

Jonathan