Ops Review

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 00:02:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Jonathan Worthington
<jonathan at jnthn.net> wrote:
> They already exist as methods too. Thing is, then we'd have no way from
> the ops to call those vtable methods...not sure how big a deal that is,
> but vtable methods without a way to call them feel odd to me.

We do have VTABLE methods like VTABLE_type that don't have any
PIR-facing interfaces. In those cases they are used internally to get
the type id numbers for use with PMCs. Now, if we want type ids to go
away completely in the future, this vtable method will be deleted and
replaced in most cases with VTABLE_get_class or something similar.

In either case, it's not unheard of to have a VTABLE method that's not
accessible through an op, and can be useful for internal purposes.