testing 'make install'

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Tue Jan 20 22:47:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Andy Dougherty wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Allison Randal wrote:
>
> > While you're running your usual platform tests in preparation for
> > tomorrow's release, if you're on a *nix-related platform, please also
> > run 'make install' (after running the tests). Run the tests again and
> > report if you encounter any failures that appear after the install.
>
> I haven't tested the shared library install (because it doesn't work for
> me, see [1]
>   http://lists.parrot.org/pipermail/parrot-dev/2008-December/000783.html )
>
> but I think that you probably need something like the following;
> otherwise, the installed versions of the binaries aren't going to know
> where to find their shared libraries:

Ok, tested now on Linux, and my patch seems to work (mostly).
Of the 8 binaries that get installed, five, namely

    parrot   parrot_debugger   pbc_info   pbc_merge   pdump

get installed with the correct (installed) rpath to libparrot.so,
and three,

    pbc_to_exe   parrot_config   pbc_disassemble

get installed with the incorrect (build path) rpath.  I haven't yet
figured out why.  Still, the one most likely to be used (namely
parrot) at least will work with this patch, so I think it's the right
way forward.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu