testing 'make install'

Mark Glines mark at glines.org
Wed Jan 21 16:30:04 UTC 2009

chromatic wrote:
> It'd be nice to take advantage of shared library versioning, at least on
> platforms where the compiler and linker and dynamic loader all support it --
> but I have no idea how to do that in a cross-platform way.  Do you think it's
> possible?

There are cross-platform tools available to help with this kind of thing
[1].  Libtool is advertised as being portable.  I don't know if they
currently support MSVC, but I know patches are available to add that [2].

If we choose not to use it directly, it may at least be a source of ideas.

Mark

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Versioning
[2] http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?6448