project planning for 0.9.1; call for volunteers

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 00:30:09 UTC 2009

i've now updated the roadmap
(https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/ParrotRoadmap) to reflect reality
after the 0.9.0 release, thanks to chromatic, allison, and pmichaud,
who provided me with feedback and clarifications during the process.

the bad news: we missed almost half of our 0.9.0 items.
the good news: we landed all our critical items (except one that was
unclear until today, now clearly named).

for a loosely-organized team of volunteers, still getting used to
working with a roadmap, you have done a fabulous job. keep it up. the
items that were missed have been moved to future releases (mainly for
february). i need some help from you wonderful people, to make
managing and tracking progress easier for everyone involved. i need
volunteers to:

~ make a trac ticket for each roadmap wiki entry targeted for 0.9.1.
list each ticket number in the roadmap.
~ where a description is known for any ticket, fill it in.
~ where someone has taken or wants to take ownership of the ticket, do
that and update the roadmap.
~ make available a report of all roadmap items (trac tickets) related
to the 0.9.1 release, including id, title, owner, and status.

as you can probably guess, i'm planning to move the project management
from a roadmap wiki page to a list of tickets organized by milestone,
to better integrate project planning with the ticket system. these are
the first steps, starting with items for the 0.9.1 release. if it
works, we'll apply the same rules to 1.0.0 and future releases, and
throw the wiki away.

additionally, i'd like to make sure that every weekly #parrotsketch
meeting includes time to review current roadmap items. roadmap item
resources, please be prepared to report on your roadmap items during
the weekly meeting, or send status of them along with your weekly
report ahead of time if you can't make the meeting.

thank you for your continuing contributions and enthusiasm.
~jerry