[svn:parrot] r35909 - trunk/config/gen/makefiles

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 16:27:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 20:31, Will Coleda <will at coleda.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:30 PM, jerry gay <jerry.gay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 20:23, Will Coleda <will at coleda.com> wrote:

>>> Ok, so the -r makes it hard to run as part of the single invocation of
>>> t/harness that we do with 'make test'
>>>
>>> Why do we have to run this one test with -r when we run 'make test'?
>>> Why not catch it with 'make testr' which is run as part of 'make
>>> fulltest'?
>>>
>> because nobody runs make fulltest. the smokers don't. the users don't.
>> the developers don't. only the release manager does, once or twice
>> before a release. i'm not saying that's good, that's just the way it
>> is.
>>
>> ~jerry
>>

> What makes /this test/ so important we have to run it here?

this test is for bytecode annotations. we need to make sure that
they're frozen to bytecode properly, and when they're loaded, that
they're correct. the -r runcore does just that--it freezes the code to
bytecode on disk, then loads it, and runs it. so this test is run once
without -r, which tests that bytecode annotations work in the
interpreter, and once with -r, to make sure they work in frozen
bytecode.

it's possible we should be testing other parrot features with the -r
core more regularly, but i haven't thought about that enough to
suggest we run always run the testr make target when we run test.
~jerry