Requirements for developing Parrot

Michael Hind mike.hind at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:17:11 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have just done a new installation of Kubuntu Intrepid i386 on my system as
my previous one was a little broken.

I set up most of the stuff I thought I needed and used cpanp to update and
get the required perl 5.10 modules.

I got parrot from the subversion repository and ran

perl Configure.pl --test --optimize

which seemed fine, I then ran

make world
make smoke.

the result of this was:

http://smolder.plusthree.com/app/public_projects/report_details/17245

I noticed the following though in the output:

t/pmc/bigint................................skipped: No BigInt Lib
configured

and

t/dynpmc/gdbmhash...........................skipped: No gdbm library
available

I realised that I had installed the libraries but not the necessary .dev
files for these

I installed the .dev files and did a make realclean and reran

http://smolder.plusthree.com/app/public_projects/report_details/17250

this gives 11767 tests with 606 skipped and 239 TODO as opposed to 11680
tests with 609 skipped and 239 TODO
so effectively 3 skipped tests being run giving an additional 87 tests.

My main point is that I could find nothing in the documentation showing
which libraries and perl modules are requirements and nice to haves etc.

I am still not sure if there are libraries and/or programs that I don't have
that would be useful for me as I continue to get involved with parrot
development.

For example it took a little google/cpan searching to find Pod::PseudoPod
for the docs/book stuff.

Thank you,

Michael (mikehh)

ps. I noticed that a lot of the tests submitted to smolder do not seem to
have these libraries (.dev) files

--
Michael H. Hind

Tel:  +44 (0) 1224 596 139