1.3.0 Release Next Week

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 00:14:06 UTC 2009

It's that time of the month again. We've got the 1.3.0 release coming
out next Tuesday and I've got high hopes that it will be a good one.
Whatever we release this month will be what people are seeing at YAPC,
so we want it to be a good one. Here are some things we can focus on
this week:

1) Branches, except very minor ones, should merge by Saturday. That
will give us two full days to work out any kinks and get plenty of
platform and language testing. I know the pmc_i_ops branch is nearing
maturity, I don't know if any other outstanding branches are so close.
2) Likewise, avoid making huge core changes after Saturday so we can
do plenty of testing.
3) Make sure to update NEWS, PLATFORMS, and any of those other
metadata files. Don't wait till Tuesday morning! Make sure all your
cool work gets listed!
4) There are still some items in DEPRECATED.pod that were eligible for
removal as of 1.1.0. I know it's not a requirement, but it would be
cool if we got some of these removed before Tuesday.
5) We have some outstanding tasks to work on: HLL Interop and
Profiling. Anybody with a few tuits this week is encouraged strongly
to take a look at these two tasks and see what you can do to help. I
know the compiler developers would love some profiling tools! I'll
personally mail a batch of brownies (chocolate or blonde, your
choice!) to anybody who can commit a good PIR-level profiling tool
before Saturday. Offer is void after 11:59PM EST on Saturday.
6) Documentation, as always, could use some help.
7) We've got several platforms that haven't been updated since 2008.
If you have access to one of these platforms, an update would be much
appreciated. Also getting a report from any new untested platforms
would be awesome. Setting up an automated smolder test script on a new
platform would be the best yet.

linux-x86-gcc4.1.3             2008-04-14
linux-x86-gcc4.2.3             2008-07-15
linux-x86-gcc4.2.4             2008-10-23
linux-x86-gcc4.3.2             2008-10-30
sol10-sparc-gcc_4.0.2       2008-05-10
sol10-sparc-gcc_4.0.2        2008-05-18

8) <voice of chromatic> Close those tickets! </voice of chromatic>.
Especially with all the optimizing and memory-leak-plugging that we've
been doing this month, there should be plenty of low-hanging fruit to
pluck.
9) As a last note, Coke mentioned today at #ps that blogging about our
work and our progress is a great way to get some easy publicity. So,
if you have some time this week, write a blog post about your work in
Parrot! There are blogs on www.parrot.org available to all committers,
and we (Coke, myself, and maybe somebody else?) can add new blogs to
planet.parrot.org. If you have an external blog dedicated to Parrot,
or a label that you use for your Parrot-related posts, let us know and
we'll add it to the aggregator.

I know this is a lot of work for the week, but there's always a lot of
work to do. Parrot is a very needy bird! Keep up all the great
momentum we've had so far this month, and let's put out an awesome
release on Tuesday.