1.3.0 Release Next Week

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 17:32:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Bruce Keeler<bruce at drangle.com> wrote:
> Mmmmmm...brownies!
>
> So what qualifies as "good"?  And what makes the standard profiling tools
> (i.e. gprof I suppose) inadequate?

The tool that we need (and anybody should feel free to correct me on
this) is a PIR-level tool that will profile which PIR subroutines are
being called. We need to know which Subs are called, how often they
are each called, and how much time (as a percentage of total execution
time) is spent within them.

A profiler is considered "good" if it meets the basic profiling needs
of our compiler developers. A first draft profiling tool does not need
to be perfect or bug free (especially not by Saturday!) in order to
qualify as "good". In any case, it should be well coded and possible
for people to start fixing/extending it after the release.