[svn:parrot] r39514 - in trunk: . t/pmc

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 12:32:21 UTC 2009

I've been thinking about this issue since yesterday, and I believe now
that the test is in error and should be changed. The PMC in question
is abstract, it's not intended to ever be instantiated or used
directly. The benefit in it comes from using it to inherit from so
other IO-related PMCs have a common base to work with. Plus, in the
next round of cleanups this PMC may disappear entirely if we find that
there isn't enough common base that's worth inheriting like this.

So we already have tests for the things that use this, FileHandle and
StringHandle, etc. It doesn't make any sense for us to put in an empty
worthless test file for every abstract PMC type that we choose to
define in the future. A better solution would be to add a blacklist to
the test so PMC types that can't be sensically tested directly don't
have to be.

--Andrew Whitworth