Parrot 1.3.0 "Andean Swift" released

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 21:26:51 UTC 2009

On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 1.3.0
"Andean Swift." Parrot (http://parrot.org/) is a virtual machine aimed
at running all dynamic languages.

Parrot 1.3.0 is available on Parrot's FTP site, or follow the
download instructions at http://parrot.org/download.  For those who
would like to
develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot itself, we recommend using Subversion
on the source code repository to get the latest and best Parrot code.

Parrot 1.3.0 News:
- Core
  + Optimized parts of the IO system
  + Fixed inheritance hierarchy of FileHandle and Socket PMC types
  + Fixed leaks involving subroutines and Parrot_Context
  + Cleaned up and refactored GC internals, including fixes and optimizations
  + Optimized PMC class manipulations to use type numbers instead of
string names
  + Fixed problems involving hashval calculations in strings
  + Removed unnecessary MULTI dispatches in built-in PMCs
  + Fixed memory leaks involving PMCs that were not properly destroyed
  + Fixed creation of PMCProxy PMCs in correct namespaces
  + Added preliminary Pipe support
  + Fixed cloning of Object PMCs
  + Added root_new opcode
  + Added initial versions of Packfile PMCs with read/write capabilities
- Compilers
  + Fixed several memory leaks in IMCC
  + Updated PCT to use root_new opcode
  + Added support for keyword "self" in NQP
- Documentation
  + Improved and expanded /docs/book
  + Updated project documentation
  + Defined 'experimental' status and procedures in DEPRECATED.pod
- Miscellaneous
  + Cleaned code and improved code-level documentation
  + Various bugfixes, code cleanups, and coding standard fixes
  + Added an experimental compiler library to help use PIR libraries from HLLs
  + Updated OpenGL library and examples to support experimental HLL import

Many thanks to all our contributors for making this possible, and our sponsors
for supporting this project.  Our next scheduled release is 21 July 2009.

Enjoy!