Easy Projects for New Hackers

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:02:48 UTC 2009

(sorry about all the email traffic lately!)

by other contributors, I'm starting a series of posts on my blog
called "Parrot4Newbies" [1]. I'm also planning to start a few pages on
the wiki with similar information.

What I am trying to do is document easy ways for new hackers to get
involved in Parrot development, by showing them some small projects
and some big projects which can be broken down ahead of time into
small pieces. We want people to be able to get involved quickly by
providing projects with a low barrier to entry. First post yesterday
talked about some of the documentation fixes we need, and the post
today talked about some help we need with the test suite.

If you have projects in mind that would be easy for new people to get
started on, please let me know and I will make sure they get
publicized on the blog and the wiki and anywhere else I can find.
Small easy projects are good, larger projects are okay also if we put
the effort in to break it down into small manageable steps and explain
the process in some detail. Projects that are too opaque or are
overwhelming to a new hacker are no good.

I have a few more ideas in my mind to talk about, but if other people
send me good ones I will post them first.

[1] http://wknight8111.blogspot.com/search/label/Parrot4Newbies