too many languages still in parrot repo

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Sun Mar 8 04:03:45 UTC 2009

François Perrad wrote:

> For migration (with history) of all languages in one time, see :
> http://lists.parrot.org/pipermail/parrot-dev/2009-February/001631.html
>
> But svnadmin is a command on server side. Needs a sysadmin.

I debated whether to preserve the revision history of Punie through
various SVN hackery, and decided it was preferable (cleaner, safer) to
treat it as an 'svn move', where the revision history still exists in
the original location, but isn't duplicated in the new location.

svndumpfilter is finicky, and text substitutions on a dump file are
error-prone. And, getting the revision history for just the handful of
languages we want is trickier than getting the whole languages/
directory. That is to say, it's a messy process, with a high risk of
failure.

But, given the alternative is manually moving some 20 language
directories and losing easy access to revision history, it's worth
experimenting. Will let you know the result.

We do have the advantage that the languages/ directory has had
relatively little movement over the years.

Allison