too many languages still in parrot repo

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Sun Mar 8 05:37:02 UTC 2009

Allison Randal wrote:

> But, given the alternative is manually moving some 20 language
> directories and losing easy access to revision history, it's worth
> experimenting. Will let you know the result.
>
> We do have the advantage that the languages/ directory has had
> relatively little movement over the years.

Not little enough movement. Unfortunately, svndumpfilter fails the first
time it encounters files copied into an included directory from an
excluded directory, at r13153. And again at r23121.

I was able to trick it into allowing these moves by adding
trunk/config/gen/makefiles and languages/nqp in the "include" list. It
results in a messier final repository, but those directories can be
deleted after the import.

The next problem: loading the filtered dump file fails before it even
gets started:

> <<< Started new transaction, based on original revision 1
> svnadmin: File not found: transaction '0-0', path 'trunk/languages/jako'
>      * adding path : trunk/languages/jako ...

On a little research, this appears to be a problem with combining
svndumpfilter with the original cvs2svn conversion entries. (Doing the
text substitutions to change trunk/languages/jako to jako/trunk results
in the same error. I figured it was worth trying it both ways.)

I'm considering this a lost cause, but am happy to give a copy of the
svnadmin dump I created tonight (from a clean hotcopy), to anyone who
wants to experiment further.

Allison