[svn:parrot] r37222 - trunk/src/ops

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Mon Mar 9 17:02:52 UTC 2009

Reini Urban wrote:
> So since when are we in production? My understanding is that the first
> production release starts with 1.0

1.0 is production.

> With this change we lost now cross-version bytecode portability
> and we will win the habit of randomly changing ops and pmc numbers
> as before.
>
> The pbc designers thought about that long and hard, and set a date
> when these random changes should stop and should be exchanged
> about a support policy which should help keeping backwards portability.

It's been a long time since anyone thought it was a good idea to freeze
changes to the bytecode at some arbitrary point. Any feature where you
tell users "we will never change the internal implementation or
interface of X" means you can never improve that part of the project.
Get enough of those, and your project dies.

What we will do is make the bytecode changes respect the usual
deprecation cycle.

Allison