Parrot Socket I/O - request for help

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jnthn.net
Wed Mar 25 12:34:09 UTC 2009

Hi,

This morning I have applied a patch sent in by bacek++ to get socket I/O
in Parrot up and running again. I also did a port of that to Win32,
based off the work by bacek and from the previous Win32 implementation.

I'm glad to have this, but there's probably a couple of things that
should be done. I'm scribbling them here to get feedback and in hope
that @other will pick them up. ;-)

1) Apparently it all works well on Linux-y systems, however there's an
issue with Win32. When I run parrot examples/io/httpd.pir, it will serve
pages, but the browser hangs without showing it after it has served the
page. If I hit Esc in the browser (which I guess ends the connection),
only then does it show the page. I have about zero socket programming
experience, so I'm not sure where to start looking. Patches very
welcome. This is ticket #497.

2) I think we will need some more tests for this. Is this something
worth creating a ticket for?

3) Code review and other improvements would be most welcome, of course.

Thanks all,

Jonathan