Parrot is in Fedora

Gerd Pokorra gp at zimt.uni-siegen.de
Tue May 5 06:41:32 UTC 2009

Am Montag, den 04.05.2009, 10:54 +0200 schrieb Michael Schroeder:

Hello,

> Why are they both parrot-tools and parrot-devel?

I used 'make install-dev' and the subpackage "tools" hold the difference
to the target 'install'. That are the files
   %{_libdir}/parrot/%{version}/tools/*
   %{_libdir}/parrot/%{version}/VERSION
needed to build languages.

> I'm asking because
> SUSE also ships with parrot since a couple of weeks and I want
> to unify the package names/contents between distributions as much
> as I can.

The Fedora-people I know don't care much about SuSE, but I like also
to unify the package names and contents and would like to work togehter.
For some time ago Allison suggest to add a ports/rpm directory and
to place parrot.spec and a Makefile in there. I think this should be
the common basement for rpm-based systems. If there will come no protest
from the community I will start to write the Makefile for that.

> (We also have libparrot in an extra package, so that multiple
> versions of the runtime can be installed in parallel.)

I do not know enough about programming to say something about that. I
only see the same extra package for Mandriva and Ubuntu. Does Parrot
support to work with different versions of installed libraries? I do not
know if this have move advantages or disadvantages. May be to update
parrot from time to time is adequate.

What about to convert pod to man-pages during the build. Is there a
script that can do that or even a parrot-program for that? I think Perl
5 use an extra install_man script.

Does SuSE already have packages for languages? Pynie build on an
installed Parrot so this can be the next aspirant for a package. The
Fedora maintainer Chritoph Wickert prefer to build languages as seperate
packages. I agree with that, this should make the maintenance easier and
they also have different repositories so the language package version do
not have to depend on the parrot version.
(But first the ports/rpm directory :-) )

Gerd