[perl #41912] [CAGE] survey tools/ dir for unused, old, or broken code, and remove or fix as necessary

James Keenan via RT parrotbug-followup at parrotcode.org
Sun May 17 17:11:25 UTC 2009

On Sun Mar 22 06:09:15 2009, jkeen at verizon.net wrote:
> On Mon Mar 19 15:43:27 2007, particle wrote:
> > there's a number of scripts and utilities in the tools/ subtree which
> > i suspect have gone unused for some time now. this ticket is a
> > placeholder to track efforts on surveying and fixing the files under
> > tools/.

1.  I've been looking at this ticket on and off for two years.  We've
cleared out some programs that clearly were no longer needed.  I've
looked at the remaining programs and am somewhat satisfied that, with
exceptions noted below, the remaining programs are still either
essential or are useful to some Parrot developers somewhere.  So I'm
going to close this ticket, having transferred some remaining questions
to Trac tickets.

> Jerry:
>
> Do we have a rule as to which programs ought to be under 'tools/build/',
> which under 'tools/dev', and which under, say, 'tools/util/'?

2.  I didn't get any response to this question, so I've transferred it
to https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/677 in the hope that it will
have greater visibility in Trac.

3.  The question I posed about the Valgrind suppression file
'parrot_8.supp' has been transferred to
https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/ticket/678.

Thank you very much.
kid51