[PROPOSAL] include nqp-rx PIR files in Parrot core distribution

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Nov 3 09:20:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 03:06:00AM +0000, Allison Randal wrote:
> I have concerns either way.
>
> A) Include generated PIR files in Parrot repository:
>
> - It is nice to have regular expressions easily accessible without
> installing a module.
>
> - Shipping generated files when we don't have a copy of the original
> source is risky. Parrot might need to fix a small bug, and the external
> NQP module may have changed radically, preventing us from merging it in
> until a deprecation point.

There's nothing to prevent Parrot from keeping copies of the original
sources as well as the generated ones.  They aren't that big, and
if there's a "small bug" to be fixed it can be done with the sources
in the Parrot repo if the NQP trunk isn't appropriate.

> Then we have to track the version of NQP
> that's in Parrot, and track any patches we've made to it, and
> potentially reapply those patches every time we merge NQP into Parrot.

It's pretty likely that a small bug in NQP would get fixed fairly
quickly in its trunk, reducing the need to separately track
versions of NQP and patches.

> (I have a module in core
> Perl, it's bad enough when the whole source of the module is included in
> the distro repository.)

I suspect that a significant part of the problem there is Perl 5's
incredibly long and unpredictable release cycles, which offers very
little opportunity for upgrading and synchronization.  If so, that
would seem to be less of an issue here (but I could be wrong on that
point).

> - Shipping generated code with difficult access to the original source
> (find a particular version of the repository for another project) isn't
> entirely in line with the open source philosophy. (Not a technical
> problem, though.)

The above suggestion (include NQP sources in Parrot) would resolve
this issue as well.

Pm